When your device’s storage is already at capacity, having a single app consume so much space is concerning. If you want to learn about Why Does TikTok Take Up So Much Storage? and want to reduce the storage used by this app, you will get in-depth information regarding this problem and will be able to apply various simple techniques discussed below in this article.
First of all, TikTok requires approximately 500 MB of space on your mobile device for installation and operation. However, the app becomes more space-hungry the more you use it. Insane amounts of space used by TikTok can be the result of many different things, including watch history, cache files, and other data. In addition to this, Just think of the sheer volume of videos being posted to TikTok every day by its more than 100 billion active users.
Why Does TikTok Take Up So Much Storage?
These are the following possible reasons why TikTok consumes a lot of storage from devices:
- Large App Size.
- Excessive Cache Memory.
- Video Downloads.
- Watch History.
- Video Sharing Platform.
How to Reduce The Internal Storage Used by TikTok?
As we know it is impossible to keep TikTok app with less internal storage but you can reduce it to a great extent by using the simple procedures given below:
Method # 1: Clear Your Watch History
The videos that you have watched in the previous week are probably downloaded by the software and saved as part of the app’s data. So, if you watch a large number of videos, the app will occupy more space on your smartphone accordingly. The following steps should be followed to clear your watch history:
- Tap the icon that looks like three lines located at the upper-right corner of the screen to access your TikTok profile.
- Then, select the Privacy and Settings tab.
- Now, open watch history by scrolling below the section of Content & Activity.
- In the final step, select “Clear history” from the menu at the bottom of the screen.
Method # 2: Remove TikTok Drafts
You can store videos in the drafts folder on TikTok as a creator. Even better, you can use TikTok as your own private short video editor, recording the video there and saving it directly to your phone if you don’t want to upload it publically. It is also important to keep in mind that TikTok will take up more space if you have a large number of saved drafts on the app. As an alternative, you can save your TikTok to a camera roll if you want to keep them saved or transfer it to any other device. However, if you no longer need these draft videos, you can remove all drafts from your app by using the following method given below:
- Open the TikTok app/website and go to your profile.
- Then, click on the “Draft” section and select the video(s) you wish to remove by tapping on them.
- Now, verify that you intend to remove the draft video by tapping the icon from the top of the screen that looks like a trash can.
Method # 3: Use TikTok Lite
It’s possible to swap out the TikTok app on your mobile device for TikTok Lite, which is a lighter version of the original app. There is no doubt that the Lite version of the app has more users. Users should think about installing TikTok Lite rather than the full version of the app if they want to free internal storage from the device. The Lite and full version of TikTok has a lot of similarities, and if you just want to watch videos on the app rather than create them, TikTok Lite is the best option.
Method # 4: Clear the Cache of TikTok
The deletion of data stored within the TikTok app is by far the most effective way to free up space on the platform. Clearing the cache of TikTok makes the app run faster and gives you more space on your phone. If the cache memory of the TikTok app is full, the app may stop working on your device. The following method for clearing the cache on TikTok can be performed on either an Android or iOS device.
- Launch the TikTok app, and browse your profile.
- The next step is to select the app’s settings by tapping the icon that looks like three horizontal lines on the upper right side of the screen.
- After that, select the gear icon to access the Settings and Privacy menu.
- Now, simply select “Clear Cache” from the app’s Cache and Cellular Data menu by scrolling to the bottom of the page.
- All the storage space occupied by the app cache will be cleared from your device.
Method # 5: Uninstall and Reinstall TikTok App
Reinstalling the app is a proven technique to resolve a large number of issues from the app including the TikTok Comments Not Showing problem. However, it will also remove some data from your device such as your drafts, etc. So, it is recommended that you should apply this technique if none of the above-mentioned methods worked for you. When you uninstall the application, the amount of free space on your device will increase. After that, visit either the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store to reinstall the application on your device.
Creating and uploading a lot of videos is not the only reason why TikTok is taking up so much storage on your device. Instead, It also happens if you use the TikTok app frequently because TikTok saves the data of your watched videos for a week. So, you should clear your watch history and cache data from the app in order to reduce the amount of storage used by the TikTok app.